The Razor’s Edge is an investing podcast that combines a prop trader’s viewpoint and deep-dive fundamental research to provide a unique take on the markets. The show is co-hosted by Akram’s Razor, a trader, tech enthusiast, meat lover, Marvel fanboy, battle tested activist short-seller and humble market servant, and by Daniel Shvartsman, VP of Content at Investing.com and someone who has seen thousands of investing pitches and ideas and how they play out over the past decade. The duo start with a theme or idea from Akram’s investing, then break it down to understand what goes into the idea, what could go wrong, and what else investors and traders need to know. They also interview industry leaders, executives, and other investors to get a wider perspective. The show has thousands of listeners around the world.
Tuesday Mar 23, 2021
Tuesday Mar 23, 2021
This week’s the Razor’s Edge takes a March Madness theme, as we break down a bracket of ideas.
We start off with PagerDuty, breaking down their very solid Q4 report and FY 2022 guidance, as well as the swagger management had on the call. Then we each pitch a new idea. Daniel talks up the favorable economics of Just Eat Takeaway (in the process of buying out GrubHub), and Akram pitches GoPro as a growing subscription business positioned perfectly for a reopening tailwind. We quiz each other on the theses and try to boil down what truly matters for each pitch.
- 3:00 minute mark – PagerDuty Earnings review – confidence, use case expansion, bundling, valuation, the point product vs. platform elements, and when is it worth talking to management
Just Eat Takeaway Ready For Pick Up
- 20:00 – The basic bull argument
- 27:00 - The value proposition for customers and thinking through customer behavior
- 36:00 – The founder-led angle
- 46:00 – Working through the competition
- 51:00 – Distinction in our investing styles
GoPro or Go Home
- 54:30 – The GoPro case
- 1:03:45 – Subscription economics for GPRO
- 1:09:00 - How big of a post-COVID play is this and what about this over-extrapolating?
- 1:15:00 -The Gamestonk context and why it helps or hurts the case
- 1:17:30 – Time horizon for the GoPro trade
Some related items to read: